Chipstead Old Boys

Chevening FC folded sometime thereafter, but was resurrected in 1936 as Chipstead Old Boys (out of the Constructure Club). Club meetings were held in the Old Forge buildings opposite the now Chipstead Pottery. Most of the lads were former pupils of the village school and only just 15/16 years old.

There were 3 brothers in the team at that time, Stan, Peter and Frank Allen. Interestingly, there was a 4th Allen in the team, Eddie, who subsequently married the brothers’ sister.

One story relates to the time a young Chipstead Old Boys travelled to play an experienced Kingsdown team in the Junior Cup. The team travelled to the match by coach, as arranged by their manager & secretary Jock Hillen. The referee on the day was also given a lift to the game. Chipstead Old Boys were given such a hard time, with little or no protection being given by the referee, that Jock took his team off the pitch at half time. The club was so upset by what happened on the pitch that the coach departed without the referee, who was left to make his own way home. The club had to subsequently appear before the KCFA in Maidstone and were fined a hefty £5.

Round about that time, the Manager of the local Mill was a Mr Gillespie, who was also a Director of Charlton Athletic FC. All the Chipstead Old Boys players were weighed and their height recorded at the Mill with a view to being put on to Charlton’s books. In early 1939, it was rumoured that a Charlton scout came down from London to watch the team play, but all was put on hold by the start of the 2nd World War.

No local league football was played during the War years. However, many of the Chipstead Old Boys players who went into the Forces did manage to keep themselves in shape by playing football for their Section team.